Monday, November 14, 2016

"Just keep swimming.." Dori

I was able to add some wall art to my shop, namely the completed horizontal and vertical stabilizer!
The vertical stab came out good but not great. I vowed to improve my riveting technique half way through..I had a problem with the rivet gun slipping while using the mushroom set for the flush rivets. This would cause a minor smiley or indentation in the skin. I decided to try some double sided tape to see if it would help. I was worried about it leaving the rivets set high. Turns out it worked great. It was sticky enough to keep the mushroom set from slipping, but not sticky enough to prevent removal. You can see in the picture the first rivet I did with this strip of tape left a circular indentation in the tape, but it came away intact from the rivet/surface. I think this is the new way for me when riveting with the gun solo.

Now onto the rudder and elevator.  I was able to prep, mix the primer, shoot, and clean up the mess in about 4 hours. Not too bad and I think worth the effort.. I love the 2 part primer; so much better then the rattle can stuff. If I add drying time into this analysis, priming with 2 part is less time than rattle can, and cheaper too. My prep was simple, wipe with acetone, then shoot, being careful not to touch the surface with my hands. And I did this before dimpling. I am only priming the inside part of the skins, but both sides of ribs, spars, and everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment