Saturday, June 3, 2023

Engine Start

 5/19/23

First engine start today.

It was a non event.

I did the fuel flow test yesterday with 3 gals in each tank. It took a bit to get the fuel pump primed. I had to blow in the fuel filler to push some fuel to the pump, then the fuel pump worked great. ( Unlikely to self prime in flight with low fuel, guess I am never gonna run it dry)

After that I disconnected the fuel line at the distribution block and pushed all the preservation oil out of the fuel servo into a bucket.

After filling the oil cooler as recommended by Lycoming, I turned the engine over by hand, with the lower plugs removed, to push all the oil out of the cylinders. Once tied down outside, i engage the started with the fuel valve close and fuel pump off, to build oil pressure.

Then performed a normal prime and engine start. Engine started on second blade. I was shocked it fired right up.

Ran it until cylinder head temps got to 300C.

Mag check was good; idle speed and idle mixture were good too. No adjustments needed!

No leaks or other issues.

My A&P friend and I dont see a need to run it again before first flight.


To answer a question from the other thread, battery charging was, like, 9 amps at about 1100 rpm. I think I am really gonna like this B&C alternator mounted on the vac pad.

EDIT: After 40 hours of phase 1, I took off the pad mounted alternator and went with a belt drive. The vac pad alternator just doesnt do a good enough job of charging battery during taxi in and after start to be used as a primary charging method..


Ready for inspection picture:



No comments:

Post a Comment