Sunday, July 17, 2022

Fiberglass June 2022 - Rear Skirt

 6/3/22

So the front windscreen is coming along, but turns out fiber-glassing resin is back ordered. So decided to move on to the rear skirt to make the best use of my precise supply.
After several false starts I found a method to bridge the gap and make a nice base for the first layer of fiberglass. I am using thin styrene sheets, with a small bent over lip for support. The orange tape defines the finished edge position. I ended up making a doghouse form out of styrene too.




6/19/22

Rear canopy skirt is glassed. I only used 4 layers because I ran out of cloth. But I am using the Aeroepoxy2032, which has a higher glass transition temperature than West Systems, so after a week, this thing is stiff; it appears there was no need for a thicker layup. (if one is using West System epoxy resin, I think a fifth layer will be needed for strength)

The glass transition temperature is the temperature when the fiberglass starts to go soft once fully cured. West Systems is around 140F and the Aeropoxy 2032 is about 194F. The Aeroepoxy resin with the higher glass transition temperature also seems to be more rigid at room temperature too, and I know it will not go soft when I am out in the desert and the canopy pieces get up there in temperature. Seriously Death Valley gets to 130F




No comments:

Post a Comment