Thursday, August 4, 2016

Tools and Tools


After the great big learning curve on airplane tools, I think it is time to begin. The tools were not really more expensive than I anticipated, but just mind numbing with all the options. I think this is where a weekend course or the guidance of an experience builder would come in handy; before buying having tried the tools on a sample project, or helping another builder and learning the tools, would probably have saved some grief. But I do want to thank my friends who have stepped up and helped me out with tools they no longer use.

I started looking at the practice kit, and realized one of the first tools I need, is not one I had anticipated buying right away; that is a close quarters dimple die set. But the practice kit needs this for the ribs. So that is on the way. These tools are not really expensive in terms of dollars, but are in terms of time waiting to get started.

Next stop on this journey is completion of the practice kit, to see if I feel good enough to start on things that will leave this earth (and I don't mean being flung across the yard in a desperate rage)

I made the standard EAA workbench... except I used 3/4 melamine, made a 2 inch lip all around for clamping, and added inserts to hold the DRDT2. I also made a lazy susan for the drill press, grinder and belt sander (not shown) so that I can put this up against the wall and minimize wall space for these tools. Notice the tail feathers on the shelf with the earthquake safety straps around the boxes ;-)  Next to the band saw is the real estate for the compressor. Hopefully I can wire it for 220V to minimize the light flicker when it turns on. Besides the compressor, the only thing left to do is add the retractable power cord and retractable air hose, both mounted on the ceiling.




No comments:

Post a Comment